Reading and Oral Communication Skills 4 (ESOL 0042)
This course further develops your ability to understand a variety of high intermediate written and audio materials. You will learn to identify main ideas and supporting details in nonfiction, increase your reading and listening comprehension, analyze features of fiction, and participate in academic discussions. In addition, you will increase your vocabulary using a variety of strategies. Must be taken Pass/No Credit.
1. Reading Skills and Strategies
2. Non-fiction Podcasts, Lectures, Articles, Textbook Chapters, Essays, etc.
3. Prose Fiction (Short Stories, Novels, Novellas, etc.)
4. Graphically Represented Information (Graphs, Charts, Tables, Maps, etc.)
5. Vocabulary Skills and Strategies
6. Academic Study, Test-Taking, and Note-Taking Skills and Strategies
1. Apply academic reading skills to a variety of reading genres
2. Analyze fiction and nonfiction
3. Interpret and discuss graphically represented material
4. Prepare for and participate in academic discussions based on written and audio sources
5. Develop and use individualized strategies for expanding academic and idiomatic vocabulary
6. Employ test-taking and study skills and strategies in academic situations
Placement into ESOL 0042
or completion of ESOL 0035