Mass Communication (CMST 1015)
This course is an examination of the impact and effects of mass communication in contemporary life. You will learn the historical evolution of communication technologies, as well as related strategic communication industries, such as the media, publishing, social networking, advertising, and public relations. Specifically, you will use communication perspectives to examine the possibilities and constraints of rapidly changing communication technologies and practices as a means to discover and improve your media literacy.
1. History and development of media
2. Personal application of Media Literacy
3. Introduce media law and ethics
4. Examine media across cultures
5. Contemporary media issues
6. Media and underrepresented groups
1. Understand the history and development of media.
2. Apply ‘Media Literacy’ to personal media practices.
3. Assess the effects of media on culture and society.
4. Identify the impact of legal and ethical constraints and protections on media.
Placement into READ 0200
or ESOL 0052
or completion of READ 0100
or ESOL 0042