Music Skills for Music Therapists (MUSC 1075)
This course will provide you with instrumental and leadership skills necessary to become a board-certified music therapist. You will develop basic percussion skills on a variety of instruments. You will gain the ability to accompany yourself on keyboard and guitar skills in a variety of styles. Throughout the semester you will employ the acquired musical skills in group leading experience in culturally sensitive ways. Must be taken A-F.
1. Functional and Cultural Percussion Skills for Music Therapy
2. Functional and Cultural Guitar Skills for Music Therapy
3. Functional and Cultural Keyboard Skills for Music Therapy
4. Functional and Culturally Sensitive Leadership Skills for Music Therapy
1. Demonstrate beginning percussion skills necessary for music therapy
2. Demonstrate beginning guitar skills for music therapy
3. Demonstrate beginning keyboard skills for music therapy
4. Identify the functions, scope and variety of music and the rationale for using music in/as therapy.
5. Explain how music therapy has been or may be applied in a variety of contexts, settings and cultures.
6. Play a variety of instruments typically used for music therapy.
and MUSC 1070
or MUSC 1070
and MUSC 1175