- Any group migration or flight from a country or region. Synonyms: dispersion, dissemination, migration, displacement, scattering. Antonyms: return.
- Any group that has been dispersed outside its traditional homeland, especially involuntarily, as Africans during the trans-Atlantic slave trade.
In Minneapolis College's A.A. with emphasis in African Diaspora Studies program, you will analyze the history, politics, and cultures of African people globally and locally. You will explore the experiences of the descendants of the Transatlantic Slave Trade, recent immigrants from Africa to the U.S. and Europe and many other aspects of African Diasporic lives around the globe.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
1. Produce effective writing that explores and engages the cultural, political, dialogic, and aesthetic traditions and vanguard of the African Diaspora.
2. Analyze, interpret, and synthesize information from a variety of viewpoints within the African Diaspora, in order to solve old problems in new ways, or new problems in old ways.
3. Collaborate with peers of various backgrounds to foster an ethical and accountable learning environment -- both within and outside the classroom.
4. Identify cross-currents of Black Intellectual Traditions throughout the Diaspora and locate them within the socio-cultural environment of their origin and development -- as well as their relationship to mainstream popular culture and traditions.
Associate of Arts with an Emphasis in African Diaspora Studies
Associate of Arts
Total Credits for Award:
Click for more details