Minneapolis College confers three types of awards: associate degrees, diplomas and certificates. See Minneapolis College Policies 3.03 and 3.05. In order to receive an award from Minneapolis College, a student must:
- Complete the specific award requirements;
- Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher for all college-level coursework that is required for the specific program;
- Complete the graduation application process; (see below)
- Earn a specified number of credits from Minneapolis College; (see below) and
- Meet all financial obligations to the college
See Minneapolis College Policy 3.09 for additional information on graduation requirements.
Students who are completing a degree, diploma or certificate must submit a Graduation Application during the last semester of their program by the deadline listed on the College Calendar. Minneapolis College does not charge a fee to submit a Graduation Application.
Apply for graduation
Credits Earned at Minneapolis College
As required by Minneapolis College Policy 3.09, in order to receive an award from Minneapolis College, a student must earn a minimum number of credits from Minneapolis College as follows:
- 20 credits for students seeking an Associate of Arts (A.A.), Associate of Fine Arts (A.F.A.), Associate of Science (A.S.) or Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree;
- 12 credits for students seeking an A.A. degree, and have transferred credits to Minneapolis College from another Minnesota State College and University institution or the University of Minnesota;
- One-third of the credits required for a diploma or certificate.
Students may graduate under the requirements as published in the college catalog that are in effect at the time the degree, diploma, or certificate is certified; or under the requirements in effect for any of the previous four academic years, provided they were enrolled for at least one course from the program during the academic year they are following requirements for. For new programs or program changes, graduation will be posted at the end of the semester under which the catalog has taken effect.
Students whose initial enrollment in a program was more than four years prior may graduate under the requirements in effect at the time they began their program at Minneapolis College if course or credit options exist to meet any outstanding program requirements.
Students must meet the requirements from one college catalog; program requirements may not be combined from more than one catalog year.